I’ve decided to become more objective with the All Clemson Team and this All ACC Team by using a points system. This is a long-term project and I am still working on it. One day, I’ll have position lists and 1st Team players for each school in the ACC, so you can check back periodically if you are a fan of another ACC Team. This team represents only players that played in the ACC during the years 1978-2017. Players from teams that are in the ACC now, but that never actually played in the ACC are excluded. Here are some of the things I measure:
- Number of Times All ACC 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Teams.
- Conference Awards like Player of the Year, Offensive and Defensive Player of the Year, Jacobs Blocking Trophy and the ACC 50th Anniversary Team.
- Number of Times All American, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Teams and whether they were consensus or unanimous.
- National Awards like the Heisman Trophy, Bednarik, Lombardi, Outland, Thorpe, Walker, and Groza Awards.
- Do they hold National or Conference Statistical Records?
- Are they a College Football Hall of Fame Member?
- NFL Validation of their ability.
- Where they were drafted in the NFL, if they made the roster, and how long they played in the NFL (up to 10 years).
- How many Pro Bowls and All Pro teams did they make and are they on an All Decade Team?
- Are they in the NFL Hall of Fame?
- With those criteria I looked at every ACC player from 1978-2017 that made 1st Team All ACC, an All American Team, was drafted by the NFL, or made an NFL roster as a free agent. Below are the results: